Sunday, August 2, 2009

Flying High!

Airpower!



I got off Bagram today! I was treated to a Blackhawk ride with the Wing Staff to go visit Airman at on of the FOB's (Forward Operating Base). I have some great pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mark.schubert/BlackhawkRide


It was definitely a great experience to be with the Army Airborne Rangers and to fly on a fully loaded Blackhawk. It was a very short trip, but I am very thankful I got to be part of it. The Command Chief went with us and so did Chief McCarty - pictured on the album cover. I'll be able to tell you more when I get home. Suffice it to say - it was a great trip and I'm honored to have been chosen to ride along with the 455th AEW Staff.

We had lunch with the Airmen and also got a few moments to speak with the senior leadership there. It was great to see that for the most part, even though they don't have the same amenities we have here at BAF, they were all motivated and in very good spirits. They gave us a tour of the compound (all walking - which tells you it's not that big) and we left literally right after lunch. I think I got some great pictures.

I can tell you this - if your going to move around the AOR - this is the way to do it! It beats riding in a C130 - that's for sure!

So this was really a great day for me. I had dinner (RIBS) with the 955 AES Superintendent and one of his staff to discuss business. I try to make every moment count. I even made sure I'd be back in enough time to post this blog - for you.. :-)

Mark.

3 comments:

  1. you got some great pictures! glad you had such a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't hardly recognize you any more in these pictures you're so skinny! Glad all is well!

    Mike T

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what? I feel excited whenever I read about YOUR excitement over the people that you've got the opportunity to meet over there (like the Generals), and all the great progress you and your crew have done since you've been there, Mark!
    It makes me grin like a Cheshire cat when you tell us about hangin' with the VIP's! LOL! That is SO cool! Hopefully you've picked up some words of wisdom from them, and maybe even had some of your curious questions answered?
    One of my classmates is on his way back over there to Kuwait to finish his 10 1/2 month
    deployment. He's married and has 2 little girls.
    Another friend I have to worry about! Man! Sure am proud of you all though! :)
    Miss you, love you, and God's Peace to you all!
    Sis

    ReplyDelete