Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bagram in the News

Well, last night Bagram made the news. You can go to Google News and search Bagram for the details. Needless to say, nobody got much sleep last night and there was a lot of excitement! I'll definitely be going to bed a little early tonight!

I'm OK and everyone in our group is OK. We had a good Sunday - Father's Day. I hope to Skype with both my Father and my Father-in-Law today - hopefully here in the next few minutes.

Chapel NeXt service was very good. There were 3 other guys from my unit that have been attending - it's nice to see them there.

I'm in charge of putting together our 4th of July Celebration for the unit. I can't give away too many details here, but it's going to be a lot of fun and I've arranged it so we will get some time off of work - something our Airmen really seem to like.

I'm fairly confident I'll be getting my truck back tomorrow - of course, there is no reason to really believe that the way things go around here - but I'll be happy to post again tomorrow if in fact I do get it.

I watched a movie on Friday - Enemy at the Gates. It was OK. Pretty good story about a Russian and German sniper duel. Supposedly a true story - I'm not sure about that and I didn't have the energy today to verify.

I got a very nice envelope filled with three HUGE patriotic cards today from some nice people in CA (and here I thought the only nice people in CA were my sisters family!)

Of course that was a joke - I don't need a bunch of hate mail about all the nice folks who DO live out there. When we went to the Yurok Reservation for a reserve project several years ago, I met some very nice people!

Hopefully we get some sleep tonight - please say an extra prayer it's not as exciting as last night! And for those of you who can, please pray for the families of the ones we lost and those who were injured last night . I have been and will continue to do so.

Happy FATHER'S DAY to all the Fathers reading!

Oh, that reminds me... I wanted to share a quote with you I read earlier today:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of men better than himself. -- John Stuart Mill

Mark.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Father's Day Mark. I've been thinking about you all week. How long til we see your smiling face again?

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Father's Day, so glad to read you are safe.

    I have been hesitant to mention this on your site but thought you would want to hear how our community has responded to the recent deaths of some of our Georgia soldiers in Afghanistan. One of them, Sergeant First Class John Beale worked for me at the Water Authority.

    You would be proud of the gratefulness, patriotism and honor our community has shown for their sacrifice. Literally thousands of people lined the route of the motorcade returning his body to McDonough. I've attached a link to a video of this that is really moving - hope it works for you.

    We pray for you daily and are proud of your service!

    http://blip.tv/play/AYGJ5h6YgmE

    Mike & Lisa Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, bro, at least you can't say that things are BORING over there, right? Hope you and your crew get some sleep tonight!
    Love, Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark i am so glad that you are ok!!! Happy Late Father's Day i was doing homework late last night so i wasn't able to send you a message. Miss you very much.
    Love Bec

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are safe, Mark. Thanks for updating us right away to let us know. I'm praying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go get dem buggers, bro!

    ReplyDelete