Thursday, May 21, 2009

Good News!

Our first group of people just got back from an R&R (Rest and Relaxation) trip. The comments about the trip were very positive for the most part! One interesting thing to hear was they said the food is even better than it is on BAF! More selection and better quality! I was surprised because I thought the food here was excellent! I may have to go there just to find something to eat!

They also said it was hot, the trips were either free or inexpensive, and the beer was really good! The best part was the trip was relaxing. They got to take their mind off of being in a difficult environment where stress is high and there is lots to do. Some people handle this environment a lot better than others.

It was also brought to my attention that some people from the unit are reading this blog! I was very surprised and glad to hear that! I hadn't heard from anyone in the unit to date, so I wasn't really sure! I guess I never really thought people would be reading and just not saying anything. Remember, you CAN post anonymously and I would really like to hear your thoughts directly. Along that same thought, this is MY blog and MY opinion/view on things - if you are interested in how I think about the unit, please feel free to continue reading and you will likely enjoy an inside look at how I see things. Discussing negative feedback about any particular post with other unit members instead of discussing it with me won't help anybody. If you are interested in doing your part to help the unit, please let ME know if you need help understanding any of my statements.

The post highlighted below in particular sums things up pretty well: (in case you are just starting). I do encourage you to start from the beginning though because it would be like opening a book in the middle - you would only get half the story (which is always dangerous). If you don't read anything else, read this post:

http://ms-baf.blogspot.com/2009/04/inspired.html

That describes exactly how I really feel about being here and working with my team. It's not perfect and throughout these posts, it IS possible you may find an honest opinion here and there you may not agree with - I don't expect to please 100% of the people 100% of the time - that's just the goal. This blog is like our trip here - it is what you make it. If you look for the bad things, you will find them. If you make the days count, you won't have time for the bad things.

If you are a spouse of a deployed member here, I welcome you to keep reading and enjoying the first hand information. Yes - it DOES come pretty quick and I sincerely hope you are keeping in close touch with your loved one and are not surprised by what I'm telling you. The support from back home is crucial. I can tell you that it's not hard to spot the Airman that has issues to deal with and I do my best to make sure ALL of us here are as safe and comfortable as possible. It could be a LOT worse - but some of us just don't see it that way. It's not easy, but it is possible to smile around here - if you look for things to smile about. Some people you just can't please no matter how hard you try.

There are regular streams of support mail coming in now. Some from back home at Dobbins and some from a web based group named Soldiers Angels. They really are good too and I've had the opportunity to give out some of their mail just today. There is more coming and I've put the word out that this is available to everyone. The letters are from caring supporters who enjoy telling us thanks for what we are doing to protect and defend our country. There are also a host of gifts coming for the Airmen like "Sand" and "Cool" scarfs for everyone! These items will sure come in handy for the Airmen as it looks to get much hotter and windier in the coming weeks.

We already got a taste for the wind last week at the Blackwater site (and others). I was out there for most of the day one day and came back with dirt and sand in every open crevice on my body. Most of the guys out there were more prepared than I and already had their military issued goggles on, balaclava's, and Boonie hats among other protective measures.

Well this week is over and it was a very good week overall. The wind died down to a nice breeze and the temperatures were only "hot" one or two days. Other than that, the clouds and light wind kept the heat from soaring and we made significant progress on projects.

Thanks again to Soldiers Angels and to all of you reading - commenting or not.

Mark

6 comments:

  1. what are balaclava's? isn't that a dessert? ha ha! did you get my card?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark:

    Wanda and I continue to pray for you. Just thought you should know that Oscar was laid off this week. I'll be helping with Life Lessons again most likely. We'll have it hoppin' when you get back.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continuing to read! I feel like I am in the middle of a really intruding mystery novel. Maybe in your retired years you can write a book? Stay safe and thank you for the service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark as Memorial Day weekend is here, my comment on the blog cannot say what is in my heart. I appreciate YOU and your service to this great country. You make my issues seem so small to what you are doing and facing. GOD BLESS AMERICA, GOD BLESS YOU, KEEP YOU SAFE. Thank you for all you have done for our country....YOU are a GREAT AMERICAN! I will uplift you in prayer this Sunday in church and your unit and all who are fighting for our freedom and safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To my Dobbins Family,
    Dawg here!!Glad to see all is going ok there for you guys/gals.We continue the prayers for you and all our troops serving in the harsh conditions.With Memorial Day upon us we have a lot of thing to remember and be thankful for the guys who laid it all on the line for us back home.You know this is a hard time for my family and me with the loss of Bobby and now my other family is in harms way.Will be in touch!!!! WE LOVE YOU GUYS SO BE SAFE AND PICK EACH OTHER UP EVERYDAY,ITS NECESSARY FOR THE MISSION!!!!!!
    ALL GAVE SOME AND SOME GAVE ALL!!

    Roger and Kristy Daniel
    P.S.-Kristy starts UGA June 5th.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What kind of scarf do you need, Mark? Never heard of a sand scarf. I've heard of a balaclava, but aren't those things HUGE? Please let me know and I'll try to find one to send with Mom's next "care" package! I have one going out to you with Mom's THIS week. Got ya some good stuff that I hope you'll enjoy!
    Sis

    ReplyDelete