Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Where in the world am I?

Apparently the last post was somewhat controversial! Let me see if I can't dispel some of the myths. First, I apologize if I have lulled any of you into a false sense of security about my safety with any of my previous posts. After all, everyone should realize exactly where I am - directly in what the media and the military call the AOR - Area of Operations. It's a war zone! It's a dangerous place. Don't think for one minute that I am not constantly reminded of that, and maybe the last post I made was a more vivid reminder for you. I certainly don't need a reminder, I get reminded of that more times that I can count every single day. Although that last post never happened, it could... well, most of it - and I think some of you just realized that.

Let me tell you what will never happen. I will never be so naive as I indicated, I will never be off my game and be "rockin OUT baby" in any mission critical situation - which is pretty much 24/7 around here, and I will never put myself or any of my Airmen at any unnecessary risk or allow them to be off THEIR game. Furthermore, I won't need an army guy to tackle me if I'm being shot at! I'm perfectly capable, trained and equipped to fight for myself. We all carry loaded weapons 24/7. It's like the wild, wild west in that regard. You wouldn't think so the way some people DRIVE around here... I think they forget we all have weapons! I used to think that was the solution to the idiot drivers in Atlanta... now, I'm not so sure!

So - with that said, yes, I am still smiling. I'm at peace with where I'm at and very calm. Fully aware of my surroundings, but not scared and neither should you be. There are people injured and/or killed every day. Most of them are bad guys. Every once in a while they get lucky and get one of us - it happens. It has happened since I've been here - to more than 15 coalition forces. Have you not paid attention to the fallen comrade ceremonies I have spoken about? No, I haven't told you about every single one, and I can't and I won't.

None of this will stop me from executing our mission here or living my life. There are some funny things that happen from time to time and you get to hear about them - like the fat ladies with the pizza who had their truck towed. Plus I really do enjoy mail call everyday! Because I haven't told you any of the bad stuff (I can't), let us all remember there is plenty to tell.

I have mentioned more than a few times that I sincerely appreciate your prayers and support - but most importantly your prayers! Hopefully now you know and understand why.

Mark.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, brother of mine! I just read your fabricated story, and I don't get your point. Other than scaring the bee-jeezus out of your sister, I don't "get" what's so amusing about it! I KNOW you're in a dangerous part of the world, and I for one DON'T think you're ever "off your game" as you say! PLEASE spare some of us your "war stories" because it doesn't help US any! I love you though and hope you're coming along well with your job there.
    Love, Kris

    ReplyDelete